Psychological Assessment Fees & FAQs
At Cornerstone Psychological Services, the health and wellness of our clients, their families and our team members is our first priority. We continue to monitor the spread of COVID-19 and are keeping an eye on official information including guidance published by the CDC. Should emergency directives be issued, we will take appropriate action as directed by government officials.
Cornerstone has been working hard to ensure that we provide a safe and clean environment for our clients and team members and are doing our part to be proactive and prevent the spread of germs.
To ensure the continuous fight we are fully stocked with hand soap, hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes. Please know that we are also sanitizing furniture and electronics between clients.
Due to the fact that either we or other people people in our lives may be vulnerable and the virus presents a very serious health risk, we ask that you kindly participate with the following additional preventative measures:
- If you have visited one of the affected countries that you refrain from coming into our offices for a period of two weeks.
- If a member of your family who will come to our offices displays flu like symptoms that you again, please call us to postpone and we will reschedule as soon as it is safe to do so. Please be aware that if you do not heed this request, we reserve the right to postpone your appointment upon your arrival if symptoms are evident.
- Please know any cancellations/postponed appointments will not be subject to a cancellation fee.
- That while we have a wait list those people who have to postpone will be given priority and will be rescheduled at the next soonest opportunity.
Psychological Assessment Fees
Does OHIP Cover a Psychological Assessment?
While our fees are not covered by the government, they may be covered by extended benefit plans offered by your employer. Check your coverage under psychological services. Often, these benefits are grouped under paramedical expenses. Alternatively, if you or a family member is self-employed, you may be able to deduct the expense of our services directly from your business. We’d be pleased to speak with you further about either of these options. Also make sure and read our page on possible government funded programs and financing options through Medicard.
Psychological Assessment Fees
Does my insurance company cover the costs?
If you have insurance benefits, the classification on our invoice reads “Psychological Services”. It is your responsibility to check with your insurance company ahead of time to determine if you will be reimbursed. You should also check with your insurance company to verify if there is a daily maximum, as many insurance companies are now implementing such a policy. Based on the experience of previous clients, asking for the daily maximum by itself sometimes leads to vague answers. Instead, we suggest that you ask what is “the reasonable and customary amount” you can collect to ensure you get a concise and accurate answer from your insurance company. Since we invite the participation of parents, the invoices will be under your child’s name but also can include yourself and your spouse/significant other (if applicable and they are part of the assessment process).
How can I help my child prepare for a gifted test / gifted assessment?
The best thing you can do is ensure that your child has a good night’s sleep.
- Don’t tell your child that they are visiting the office for a gifted test. Instead, tell them that we are going to study how they learn. Only 2% of children meet the gifted criteria and we don’t want children to be disappointed
- Don’t tell your child that they will receive a prize if they are gifted
- Don’t try to study for a gifted assessment – our assessors will identify this and be forced to use different tests. This could result in unnecessary expenses
Do I need a referral from a doctor or a teacher in order to visit Cornerstone?
Although doctors and teachers refer many of our clients, clients also may refer themselves. To make an appointment, please call our office during normal business hours, and we’ll be happy to accommodate you.
What ages do you service at Cornerstone?
Cornerstone Psychological Services helps clients from 6 years old right through to adulthood. Working with this wide a range of people better enables us to help clients make choices along the way from early elementary school, high school, college/university and right into the workplace.
What is the difference between Psychologists and Psychological Associates?
Visit The College of Psychologists of Ontario to learn more http://www.cpo.on.ca/faqs.aspx